Brian and I went to Barbuto last weekend and everyone and their mother told us to order the kale salad so we did, and it was cleaned off the plate in under two minutes! It was so good, a perfect mix of oil, lemon, and parmesan, and I did my best to recreate it the other night at home. I’ve been making it almost everyday because I can’t get enough of it! I’m pretty impressed with my copy cat version, now if only I could get my kids to eat it 🙃
Here is how I did it.
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon of seedy dijon mustard
- pepper (I’m leaving out salt because the parmesan is very salty, you can always add more if you want it later
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 bag of kale
- 1 bag of shredded brussel sprouts (optional, the Barbuto one did not have the brussels)
- garnish of your choice, pine nuts, slivered almonds, apples, dried cranberries, etc…
Mix all of the dressing ingredients together and pour over your salad mixture. They say it’s best to “massage” the kale to get the oils and acid into the leaves so they soften. I left this out and just let the salad marinate for a while. Kale is tough so it needs to break down a bit to make eating it a little easier on your chompers if you know what I mean!