I’m a firm believer that one of the greatest ways to show your love for someone is by cooking them a nice homemade meal, and what’s more romantic (and delicious) than a classic like spaghetti and meatballs? There are so many variations but this is the recipe I use…and nail every time.
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. of 85% ground beef
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of either freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- about 1/2 cup of the prepared sauce (read on)
Here is what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all of these ingredients together and roll balls into whatever size you desire, and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake until the meatballs are cooked through, around 20/25 minutes
- Add them to your sauce (below) and leave in there until you’re ready to serve
For the sauce:
- Two 28 oz. cans of either San Marzano plum tomatoes with their liquid OR Hunts plum tomatoes *I’ve tried many different brands and these are the only ones I like
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- 5-10 basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Here is what you do:
- Sauté your onion in olive oil until translucent
- Pour in tomatoes and blend to a sauce consistency with a smart stick (right in the pot you’re using to cook the sauce. I use a Le Creuset dutch oven)
- Season with basil, salt and pepper and let it come to a boil.
- Once it’s boiled for about 10 minutes, lower the heat so the sauce can simmer until your ready to eat, at least 30 minutes. You can add the meatballs as soon as the sauce is boiled. Leave them in there on simmer until you’re ready to serve
This dish would be perfect to serve on Valentine’s Day with a simple tossed garden salad of romaine or spring mix lettuce, balsamic vinegar and oil, a little salt and pepper AND a nice loaf of rustic bread from your local bakery. Oh, and how could I forget, a nice bottle of red.
What a nice treat for your loved one, family, girlfriends, whoever!
Bon Apétit my friends!