As busy moms, there is literally always a million and three things to do. Whether it’s catch up on house work, doing crafts with your kids, taking them around to different playgrounds and playdates, working from home, making dinner, cleaning up from dinner, cleaning out clothes that don’t fit your kids anymore, yada yada yada. Because our minds are racing all of the time with what we need to get done for our family, it’s really hard to accept that we need time for ourselves, too, and this is in addition to the time we need alone with our spouses. I’m talking about self-care and without it, we are, for lack of a better term, a bunch of hot messes doing our jobs and running our households on fumes and nobody likes that. The other weekend Brian and I got a babysitter and instead of our usual day date of getting lunch and doing a little activity together, we changed it up and took some time for ourselves. Brian played golf and I walked around town aka shopped and went to Sephora for a makeover ??, and we met up after for a quick bite. It was so simple, but the two hours we had alone were so refreshing, we met for lunch feeling so light and recharged, and vowed to do whatever it takes to have more of it.
I have an especially hard time with this because work is literally in my house and basically in my face at all times of the day. Those instagram stories you watch of me and my kids are indeed our life, but they’ve also sort of become part of my gig so to put the phone down and say peace out world for two hours does take effort. And there is always more to do so the second my kids or hubby don’t need me I’m usually jetting to my computer to get in a quick email so fast that the poor novel I started over a year ago doesn’t have a chance, but I’m trying to change that.
SO, here are some simple (and free) ways I LOOOOVE to take a load off, clear the mind, and unwind. Obviously kids have to be out of the picture for these items so ideal times are at night when they are asleep, or on the weekends when hubby is around.
1. Take a bath. I love taking baths, especially with a candle and nice rosé. I’m currently loving this candle and this rosé (yep, it’s the best wine in a box I’ve ever tried, SO good you guys). I usually do this when the kids have gone to bed, and when Brian’s working late. It’s SOOOOO nice.
2. On a nice day, read a book on a picnic blanket with a glass of lemonade in a pretty glass in the yard. If you can’t get away from your kids to do this, try and set them up with something that will keep them occupied, like a nap or a movie, or trade playdates with a friend so you can have some quiet time.
3. Pour a glass of wine or a cup of lovely tea and lay on your couch with a stack of magazines, bliss.
4. Bring your lap top and head to your favorite coffee shop. Get some real estate in the corner and catch up on your favorite blogs, scroll though pinterest, do some online shopping, whatever floats your boat, but remember that productivity is not the goal here!
5. Give yourself an at-home pedicure. I don’t know if it’s just me but nail salons seem so crowded and dirty all the time. I love to close to the door in my own bathroom, light a candle, and have some peace and quiet while I make my feet look more human and less caveman-ish. I recently splurged on this pedicure set and my feet are completely transformed, I swear by it! Also, I’m really into these Essie Gel Couture polishes and Nords has them on sale right now 🙂
7. This is a simple one, go for a long walk, or a bike ride (I just got a bike and I can’t wait to ride it!!) in a peaceful spot and just listen to nature. There are a few spots around here I love to go, Cove Island in Stamford, Pear Tree Point in Darien, Tod’s Point in Greenwich, so pretty and relaxing.
8. Get up really early (only if you’ve gone to bed early enough, need that beauty sleep!), pour a cup of coffee and watch the sun rise in silence while the rest of your house is (hopefully) sleeping. You’ll want to start fixing breakfast or cleaning up from the night before but don’t. Just sit there and enjoy the quiet…ahhhh.
I hope this little list inspired you to do something for yourself, you deserve it mama!
Happy Tuesday 🙂