I’ve posted variations of this recipe over the years but my most recent batch was the best yet so wanted to share. It’s very quick, takes about 15-20 minutes to prep the sauce and meatballs and about another 30 to cook so you’re looking at close to an hour but totally worth it, and make extra so you can have plenty of leftovers!
For the Sauce:
Sauté half of a diced yellow or white onion with olive oil in a dutch oven until they become translucent.
Add 2 cans of San Marzano whole tomatoes and 1 can of Hunts Tomato Sauce (this part is key!! The can of Hunts adds just the right amount of thickness to the sauce and makes it way less water-y. It’s not a jar sauce, it comes in a can and you can find it next to the other cans of tomatoes). I use a hand blender or regular blender to make it all come together into a nice ragu.
Give it a taste, if it needs a little salt, add some. Cover the sauce and let it come to a boil. Then uncover it and cook it on low while you prep your meatballs.
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. of ground beef, I use 90/10
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of pesto
- 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce that’s currently cooking on the oven
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet
- Mix all of the ingredients together and make little balls in your hand
- Place the meatballs in the pre-heated oven of 400 for about 20, until they crisp up and are cooked through
Place the meatballs in your sauce and start boiling up your pasta!
Once your pasta is cooked, serve it into bowls and top with your sauce and meatballs, fresh basil, and fresh parmesan or pecorino cheese!