There is nothing that gets me more frazzled than a messy house! A clean house gives me a clear mind to go on with having a productive day and legitimately makes me a happier person. It’s especially important as I work primarily from my home office. So if it’s not clean, I am staring at the mess all day long!
Below I’ve listed out 5 daily tasks I do to stay on top of my house before it gets out of control! Before I dive in I should note that I do have an amazing cleaning lady that comes every other week to deep clean the bathrooms and mop the floors. So my daily routine helps to keep the everyday mess at bay.
- Make the beds – This is something I didn’t use to do but I started in the New Year and it’s a game changer. I love doing it and the kids are appreciating it too. Little Brian says he loves having his bed made when he comes home and if I ever miss a day, he’s not afraid to let me know!
- Diffuse essential oils – As most of you know already, I’m ALWAYS diffusing oils as it gives a fresh feeling and reduces dust in the air (along with all the other benefits). In the day I usually have peppermint/citrus diffusing and at night I have lavender/peace & calming to help with a good night’s rest.
- Wipe surfaces – After every meal I wipe down the table and countertops with Thieves cleaner so they are always shiny and free of crumbs. I will also spot clean throughout the day on any sticky parts including the floors so it doesn’t get really gross before they are mopped.
- Vacuum with my Dyson – I use my Dyson v8 Absolute Cordless Vacuum multiple times a day! If I see any crumbs, dust or other kinds of debris that comes with having kids I can easily reach for the cordless vacuum and pick it right up. I swear Brian and Grace are like two little Lioness characters from Charlie Brown! I feel like I’m always just following them around vacuuming. They love it too! At night when I’m doing my final cleaning they usually ask to take a turn, which is great as it’s lightweight for them to handle, and then I will do the finishing touch. If you don’t have one of these yet I recommend checking it out on eBay.
- Put the “stuff” away – At the end of every night I pick up all the toys and store them is baskets so it’s really quick to clean up. I also make it a point to put whatever was collected and piled up on our farm table, away. Having that table clear is very important and makes such a difference in the morning when I come down to the kitchen and see it totally clean.
*Tip* I will dust once a week in those common spots where it collects (tabletops, the nooks and crannies, etc.) and use my dust rag and thieves clean to wipe it away. I’ll also use that cleaner on the frequently used surfaces like door knobs and toilet bowl handles so it’s taken care of instead of waiting for the cleaning lady to handle.
I have to say I used to have to lug out a big ole vacuum and the kids would trip or get twisted up in the cord and it was a nightmare. Now with the cordless Dyson I can take it out and in 30 seconds or less be done with the area I need to clean and easily store it away. It’s so light and slim so doesn’t take up too much space when storing and it’s really been a lifesaver. Buying the Dyson on eBay is also SO easy. It’s great because 81% of all merchandise sold on eBay is new and available with the “Buy It Now” option (so there’s no bidding necessary) and almost 70% of their merchandise ships free. They make shopping user friendly with filters you can apply so you can sort and view only what you want to see (like items with free shipping!). Nows a great time too because they are having their Spring Cleaning Event with up to 50% off great cleaning products like Dyson and free shipping! I’m actually browsing their sale and thinking about adding the iRobot Roomba to my arsenal of cleaning supplies to handle the nighttime vacuuming while we put the kids to bed. Have any of you tried it? Do you like it?
These little hacks have really helped me maintain clean house without feeling that need to clear my calendar to make it full “cleaning day”. It’s funny how these little things I’ve incorporated into my daily routine make me feel so much better and I hope sharing them does the same for you!
Thank you eBay.com for partnering with me on this post! All opinions expressed in this post are mine.