Hello Friends! I’m excited to share a brand new recipe with you today! I have it in my head that I would like to try and share a new recipe once per week here on Pure Joy Home! This week I made a Tuscan Sausage and Kale soup and it was SOOO good. I made it in the Instant Pot which has been a lifesaver on these busy days. I can whip up a soon in under 30 minutes and because of the pressure cook feature it tastes like it’s been cooking all day. I also LOVE that you can brown and sauté in the Instant Pot, and keep it warm until you’re ready to serve. It’s honestly the perfect kitchen gadget for busy families. This is the one I have, and I am sooo happy with it!
So I found a recipe for Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Olive Garden Recipe but I made a few tweaks as I was cooking that made it much more delicious. I was SO hesitant to add half and half because I typically don’t love creamy soups but it was just enough to make it not feel heavy!
Here is what you need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound mild sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bunch fresh parsely
- 2 russet potatoes, chopped into one-inch pieces
- 1 sweet potato, chopped into one-inch pieces
- 8 cups chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1 cup half and half
(I also boiled some elbow pasta on the side to serve for my kids because I had a feeling they would be picky about the potatoes. When it was time to serve, I added the noodles to their bowls and then poured the soup on top. They really loved it!)
Here is what you do:
- Take out your Instant Pot and set to the high sauté setting. Add the olive oil and sausage. Cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. As the sausage cooks, make sure to crumble the sausage so it’s not left in large chunks.
- Add garlic and onion. Cook and stir frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in potatoes and chicken broth, parsley and then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the juice of one lemon, this makes the flavor really pop!
- Select manual setting and adjust pressure to high, and set time for 5 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Stir in kale until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in half and half until heated through, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with freshly grated pecorino-romano, or parmesan, and enjoy!!