We made it to California in one piece with smiles on all four of our faces and I’m sharing how we did it!! Today’s post is a collection of my own tips for traveling with kids based on our experiences flying with Brian and Grace over the last few years as well as reader suggestions from some of you!!
We LOVE to travel and as I’ve shared before it seems to be getting easier the older they get and the wiser we are. The key is to be 10 steps ahead of them, anticipating every need, question, moment of boredom, etc. so that when that time comes you are 100% equipped to deflect any potential pathways to them loosing their minds.
Instead you will be able to divert their attention to new and exciting things and make the experience enjoyable for all. Especially enjoyable for the person who spotted you in the terminal and prayed your kids weren’t sitting near them and then rolled their eyes as you walked down the aisle to take a seat right behind them.
Well the list below can hopefully help you hold your head up high as they roll those unforgiving eyes and stride off the plane with confidence as the flight attendants cheer you off commenting “those were the MOST WELL BEHAVED kids I’ve ever seen”. OK maybe this list can’t guarantee that but I promise you it will help!
- Go to the Target dollar aisle or dollar store etc and buy a bunch of cheapie toys.
- Make a “goodie bag” for each child for the flight.
- Reader Tip! Wrap each “present” even if it’s just a pencil so they get super excited.
- Reader Tip! Separate the little toys and give one every hour throughout the flight.
- Reader Tip (first grade teacher)! Make the toys and even print or bring coloring sheets of the destination you’re going to. Start talking about the things you’ll see where you’re headed!
- I looked and Crayola has free coloring pages you can use for this (or you can google “free printable” and other sites have them as well).
- Pack more snacks then you think you will ever need, the more the better!
- Reader Tip! Buy the window gels so they can decorate their window on the plane.
- iPads and headphones. Load shows and movies before flight and make sure they are downloaded!
- Bring an extra pair of clothes and plastic shopping bags in case of accidents.
- Benadryl in case of allergic reactions.
- Wipes, wipes, and more wipes.
- Hand sanitizer AND hand cream. For all the cleaning you’ll be doing, your hands will get dry and nothing bothers me more!
- Disinfectant wipes to wipe down seats, arm rests, buttons, tray tables etc. I like the thieves wipes from Young Living.
- If you use essential oils, bring your favorite calming blends in a roller. My favorite is Stress Away mixed with Lavender. And for the kids Stress Away mixed with Gentle Baby.
- My favorite carry on bag is this new one from Logan and Lenora. It’s great because it weighs nothing and you can wash it in the washing machine! Also, it works perfectly as a beach bag for when you get to your destination 🙂
- I like to have each kid carry a back pack. It makes them feel like they are part of it and excites them to pack it up the night before. Brian’s is from Hudson Tailor and graces is from a friend (thanks Libby & John!!) and I found a similar one on Etsy for ya.
- Last but not least, order a glass of wine or beer if possible, no matter what time it is!
I’m always looking for ways to make it fun and creative so if you have any other tips, tricks or even better watch out for’s (like fly early in the morning to avoid delayed flights!) please comment below!!