My mom is SUCH a good cook which has always given me inspiration to get into my own kitchen and serve up delicious meals just like she did for us growing up. My mother is part Spanish and spent a lot of her childhood in Spain, in the city of Valencia and the mountain town of Murla. We had the opportunity to spend many summers there when I was growing up and I loved it! The culture, the people, it was amazing to be exposed to such a different way of life at such a young age. I think that time fostered a love for travel in me, and I can’t wait to bring my little crew around the world when we are able.
Quite possibly one my favorite dishes that my mom makes is her Spanish Arroz con Pollo, basically a quick weekday paella with chicken. The flavor is incredible and it’s a one-pot meal which is a huge bonus for mess and time.
- 3 cups of white rice
6 cups of chicken broth
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2 or 3 bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 red peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 2 cups of string beans cut to bite-size pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 ripe juicy tomato
- 2 packets of Goya Sazon con azafran
- 1 lemon or lime for garnish
- Salt your chicken pieces liberally
- Brown your chicken in a dutch oven with olive oil
- Remove the chicken once it’s nice and brown, and add in the garlic and vegetables and sauté them until soft
- Add about 6 cups of chicken broth
- Put your chicken back in the pot with the veggies and the broth and let it cook through (about 20 minutes or until the internal temp is 160)
- Now it’s time to add the rice. Add three cups of rice and 2 packets of the Goya Sazon (this is what turns the rice yellow) and let the rice cook and absorb the delicious broth (about 20-25 minutes on low heat)
- Once the rice is cooked, add your frozen peas.
- Bonus Step. If you want your rice a little thicker and stickier (I like it this way), add a little more chicken broth and cook a little longer on medium heat. The rice will absorb even more and it becomes delicious.
This is a dish that doesn’t have to be followed exactly. You can add other proteins, like shrimp, pork and fish, and it will be just as delicious! If it needs more salt, add some more!
When you’re ready, serve with lemon or lime, and you’ll have a serious fiesta going on in your mouth 💃